Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Don't Get... Eating at Outside Temperature

Quite commonly during these harshest of winter days in Korea you can find a student on a snack break eating ice cream.  Six degrees Fahrenheit?  Time for ice cream!  Though its just not students, its adults as well.  You may not to be able to feel your hands but hey, why not freeze your mouth too.  However, I prefer students to eat ice cream rather than dried octopus.  Wow.  Remember that guy on the team that sweated the most and never washed his practice uniform.  Its like that.

The same goes for eating hot things during hot times.  Take Belize.  People here drink their tea hot, thanks to colonization, and put some hot sauce, Marie Sharps or otherwise, on everything.  Even when its 1,000,000 degrees.  Though with this custom I find that the tea is more for relaxation, a cultural mainstay, than for temperature balancing.  Not much A/C anywhere and you are sweating anyway so why not feel relaxed?  Also,  it is said in regards to the hot sauce, that if you make the food hot and spicy and raise the temperature in your mouth then the temperature outside your mouth is more bearable.  

As Anderson Cooper says, "You just have to see it for yourself."  Or taste it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't get Jerry Wagner

Anonymous said...

I dont get sheepish Mainers er Cannucks er former tennis teammates. You keep me guessing Mr./Mrs Anonymous.

Anonymous said...

i shall keep you guessing. Do you want hints to my identity?

Jerry said...

Love a good guessing game

Anonymous said...

hint # 1. I am not very tall. medium height

also give you a hint #2

I have brownish/blonde hair

Jerry said...

Nnnnnnnnnnneal

Anonymous said...

Wow. Good Guess. You are smarter than you look.